- Master of Divinity- George Fox Evangelical Seminary (2004)
- Certificate in Spiritual Formation & Discipleship- George Fox Evangelical Seminary (2004)
- Bachelor of Arts in Religion- Northwest Nazarene University (1978)
- Bachelor of Religion- Maranatha Bible College (1974)
- Additional Studies include eight units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) training in medical centers and state mental health hospitals. Each CPE unit represents 400 hours of supervised training
John is a credentialed minister with the General Conference and a Board Certified Chaplain with the Association of Professional Chaplains since 2004. He has served as a staff chaplain with Franciscan Hospice and Palliative Care in University Place, Washington since 2005. Past chaplaincy experience includes work with St. Joseph Medical Center (Tacoma, WA), Western State Hospital (Steilacoom, WA) and Hillcrest Medical Center (Tulsa, OK). Over the course of eighteen years he pastored congregations in Missouri, Idaho, Oklahoma and Washington.